The permanent residence directly from a non-dual intent visa such as an F1 is very possible although it comes with a lot of strings attached to it mainly the ability to lose the F1 student status. While there are possibilities, this video analysis the issues attached to filing a direct greencard while on a student visa. This video explains how to move from an F1 visa to greencard, F1 to GC, F1 to EB1, F1 to National Interest Waiver and non immigrant visa intent.
If you want to change the purpose of your visit while in the United States, you (or in some cases your employer) must file a request with USCIS on the appropriate form before your authorized stay expires. For instance, if you arrived here as a tourist but want to become a student, you must submit an application to change your status. We recommend that you apply as soon as you determine that you need to change to a different non-immigrant category. Therefore depending on what type of permanent residence you are filing, you need to keep a valid status.